Sunday, January 17, 2010

Heading Into Battle

Things are rounding the corner in CANTICLE.  It's getting a little . . .scary over there.

For the past several months, I've been building the framework for this, as well as flexing my newfound muscles in regards to writing action scenes.  Going into the writing of CANTICLE, I was an abysmal failure at writing action scenes.  I did the best I could for the sake of CORONA, which, fortunately, did not rely overmuch on them.  CORONA was more a story about the hero that thrives in each modern-day person of our own world, and the voyage of discovery required to bring that person fully into their own potential.  CANTICLE, however, is about the reckoning of a woman from a completely different world, and the need to write convincing action scenes to better bring to life those other-world creatures became overwhelming.

The first half of the book is written, and the action scenes contained there are relatively convincing, all things considered.  Now, however, I'm girding my characters for the real meat of the novel, the life-or-death proving grounds, the serious battles.

To say this part scares me is a bit like saying volcanoes can cause minor damage to nearby communities.

I'm almost out of build-up.  I have to just take a deep breath, close my eyes, and like the seers in CANTICLE, I have to let go of my own fears and background noise and just describe what I'm seeing.  I have to remember to take my time and not rush what's happening.

So . . .wish me luck..  I'm going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment