Friday, November 11, 2011

Book Review!

Ready Player OneReady Player One by Ernest Cline

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


If I could rate this higher than five stars, I would.

I've looked at other reviews of Ready Player One, by Ernie Cline. Much ado has been made over the intense nerd aspect of the book; there are so many references to technology, RPG gaming, and 80s culture in the book, it's impossible to deny the book's appeal to the nerd-goddess that resides in my heart. Further, the dystopian world Cline has conjured is not only possible, but is probable, as is the alternate-reality "holodeck" created by the mad genius of the book.

Yes, it's a nerd wonderland. But that could NEVER be enough to satisfy me. After all, when it comes to the debate of character vs. environment, I land every time on the side of strong characters. Plots do not move by themselves, after all. And this plot -- it's the stuff of magic and dreams.

In my opinion, it doesn't much matter how you frame the art. As long as the protagonist of the story starts off in adverse circumstances, overcomes adversity through the use of his wits, and in the end becomes the essence of a hero, I will become a rabid fan of the work.

Wade Watts, the protagonist of this book, is that kind of hero. I'd put him up there with Harry Potter and Taran, the Assistant Pig Keeper.

My sole complaint? I never got to find out if Lady Hawke, one of my favorite 80s movies, was, indeed, "canon." If you want to know what the hell that means, then I have three words for you:

READ THE BOOK.

You can thank me later.




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Make use of a mind map. Organizing your blog into a mind-map, using the categories, Play Bazar posts, promotion and all of your income sources can be a great method of organization. It creates a way for you to see where your blog satta king is lacking and what you can do to make it more successful.

    ReplyDelete