Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Review!

Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (Sophie Katz, Book 5)Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress by Kyra Davis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I'm at a bit of a loss. After all, I *like* Kyra Davis. I *like* Sophie Katz. I *like* everyone in this book, pretty much; I mean, there are the good guys and the bad guys, and I'm not foolish enough to say that the bad guys were overly likable, but all of Sophie's friends held true to their (rather caricatured) personalities. The thing is, I think that I might be growing out of this series.

It's nothing really that Kyra is doing wrong, it's just turning a bit away from the mystery aspect and turning more into an exploration of relationships and maturity, and that can be pretty hard to maintain from inside the confines of this genre. Further, you know how I mentioned that the characters are caricatures? You can't get too complex feelings- and emotion-wise when you're dealing with Ditzy Blonde, Gorgeous Gay Guy, and Hunky Russian Guy.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to play with Barbies after a certain age. I don't know that I will pick up the next one, and that's tragic, because for the most part, I really do like Kyra's style.

(Lastly: how many times can you use the word "hedge" as a verb? *sigh*)



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Play Bazar Imagine that you are someone who is just browsing the internet and you see your blog post among thousands of others. You should ensure that your blog headline sticks out from the rest satta king .

    ReplyDelete